Getting Set Up
Installation of your smart devices is performed by the SmartRent Field Team following a timeline designed to minimize any disruption to your home life. Once your home's smart technology has been installed, SmartRent will reach out via email and text message to create a SmartRent account and download the SmartRent App.
We encourage you to download the app to get the most from your smart technology, both at home and on the go. (Don’t have a smartphone to download the app? You can still use our web-based Resident Portal to manage your smart devices, but you will not be able to access more advanced features like granting access to others in this portal.)
You’ll also want to consider connecting your system to your WiFi network. This increases the speed and reliability of device communications. You can learn more about the benefits of WiFi at smartrent.com/support/wifi.
- Your community management team will announce that the community is upgrading to SmartRent and will provide a timeline for the project. (If you are reading this, this probably already happened.)
- You will be invited to a pre-installation information session hosted by our SmartRent Field Team. You’ll get a complete overview of the smart devices to be installed in your home, learn how your new devices will simplify your life, and have the opportunity to ask questions so you can get the most out of your smart home.
- Your community management team will inform you 48 hours before your home installation. Typical installation hours are between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. and you do not need to be home for the installation to take place.
- On the day of your installation, our Field Team will first knock to see if you are home. If there is no answer, they will unlock the door and begin the installation. If you answer, they will enter and perform the installation with your permission.
- Existing devices, such as locks and thermostats, will be replaced with new smart models. Once installed, you can control your new devices anytime and anywhere from the SmartRent App.
- One of the devices installed in your home is the SmartRent Hub. This is how all your smart devices communicate with the SmartRent App. Learn more about the hub and how it works here.
- The Field Team will set up your devices’ connection to the hub using a cellular data signal. We recommend you move the hub to WiFi or ethernet post-installation for a stronger, more reliable connection.
- Once we have confirmed that all of your devices are working properly, our Field Team will clean up and lock your door when they leave.